Duct cleaning is a regular service homes need, but it’s also the regular service that homeowners are most likely to forget to have done. The reason for this is simple: because ductwork is hidden from sight, it’s easy for people to forget about it entirely. They assume the ducts are fine, doing their job, and there’s no need to clean them. Why would they get dirty in the first place?
But duct cleaning is an important service because ductwork gradually accumulates dust, lint, dander, and other debris over time. You won’t need to call us for annual duct cleaning in Colorado Springs, CO, but we recommend you have an idea how long it takes before your ducts are dirty enough that they need this service.
Our recommended schedule is to have professional duct cleaning done every 3–5 years. If you’ve already lived in your home for five years or more and you’ve never had the ducts professionally cleaned, now is definitely the time to have it done.
We also advise scheduling duct cleaning when you know the ducts are too dirty. There are several signs you can look for that will tell you the ducts need cleaning:
- You’ve noticed a sharp decline in the energy efficiency of your HVAC system. This might be due to several factors, but clogged ducts obstructing airflow are one of the most common.
- The house seems dustier than normal, and no matter how much you dust and clean, the dust seems to come right back. This indicates that the ventilation system is circulating large amounts of dust and other debris from inside the ductwork.
- The air filter for your HVAC system needs to be changed more frequently because it becomes easily clogged.
You can make a visual inspection of the interior of your ducts using your smartphone camera. Open up one of the vent covers in the house, reach down inside as far as you can with the camera, and snap a picture with the flash. If the image you see looks like a clogged car filter, then you definitely need to schedule duct cleaning.
The Benefits of Clean Ducts
Why is it important to have this job done every few years? Because dirty and congested ducts contribute to several problems:
- The layer of dust and fibers puts resistance against the airflow from the HVAC system, and this forces the system to work harder and drain more money. You’ll see higher energy bills when you don’t have the ducts cleaned regularly.
- The excess debris inside the ducts can cause damage to the interior of the HVAC system. Dust and dirt infiltration into the HVAC system cabinet can harm motors and block burners, leading to a need for system repair.
- Thick dust and lint is an excellent breeding ground for insects and vermin.
- The ducts will turn into a reservoir for dust that will continue to circulate around your home, not only making everything dustier but lowering the quality of your air.
All it takes is a call to our Peak experts and we’ll see that you have a great duct cleaning that gives your HVAC system a fresh start.
Rely on the experts at Peak Home Performance: Guaranteed Comfort and Affordability.